A surge of eCommerce Express Package SellingReading Time: 4 minutes
2020 will be remembered for COVID-19, economic depression, struggle for survival for mankind and businesses. We are forced to change our ways of buying and selling and shift to online communication and transaction. And for eCommerce domain – as an era of eCommerce Express Packages for service selling.
To meet the surge of demand at SMB level or to sustain the economical pressure, most of the eCommerce solution providers (system integrators) have started selling eCommerce development services in packaged models – called Starter Packages, Express Packages and Accelerator Packages.
This wave is accompanied, empowered, and promoted by SaaS-based eCommerce platforms including Magento, Shopify, Big Commerce, etc. Thanks to solution providers and platforms, there is a shift in buying behaviors of eCommerce solutions by Merchants, Retailers, Wholesalers, and Marketplace owners.
If I give an analogy it is in the line of a Subway Buying process (Such thoughts come to mind to the people who are foody and understand business processes well).
Presenting Subway Model of eCommerce Express Packages selling,
Let us first see how do we buy a subway sandwich,
- You go to the subway and ask for it
- They ask what size? You say 6 Inch or Feet long
- They ask which bread? You say Wheat Bread, White Bread, Italian Herb & Cheese, Malted Rye Wrap, Gluten Free Wrap or Multigrain Wrap
- They ask Veg or Nonveg? You say Veggie
- They ask with single cheese or double? You say single
- They ask which Vegetables? You pick some and say not to some
- They ask which sauces? You pick your choices
- They ask whether to grill or not? You say yes
- Want to eat or take away? You say eat there
- Anything with it? Yo say coke
- And you pay, eat and stay happy
Let us check the solution buying process for eCommerce express packages
- I need eCommerce and start seeing options
- They ask B2B or B2C? You say B2C
- They ask which industry? You say fashion and they ask to choose themes for the fashion industry
- They ask what you want on your server or SaaS? You choose SaaS
- They ask to select special features from the list? You tell a few and they give plug-ins for them. If anything not in a list, it is available at extra fees
- They ask for payment and a shipping line? You choose one for each. You can add more at an additional fees
- They say want content population service? You say yes
- Anything else? You say no, that is good
- They give you a price, you pay. In some weeks they deliver, you sell and stay happy
An interesting question to think, what has changed? Like Subway selling eCommerce solution providers have made express packages with essential choices and core features to satisfy your hunger quickly.
Some quick questions popping in the mind of business owners
What does it save? Time and decision making effort.
Do customers like it? Certainly. If I get what is needed quickly, and at an affordable price I will love it.
If you ask, is this tailor-made for me? The answer is NO. Many other people will have similar Subways. To stand out if you want new things, you can get it then or later.
Why is this good for eCommerce solution providers? It saves their requirement gathering and mapping time with a platform. It saves time in designing UX and UI. It helps to make more stores live in a shorter time. At the time of economic pressure, this can help reduce prices and give advantages to clients.
What is going wrong? Nothing wrong in doing so. But it has made customers’ lives tougher.
Earlier clients were choosing solution providers based on what they make for clients, their service list, and past work. Now almost similar packages are available on different platforms by all sizes and scales of solution providers.
This has resulted in the red-ocean strategy for eCommerce solution providers. This will end up in the price war. It is also killing the difference between good and better solution providers.
It has increased the difficulty in making a choice for an eCommerce store owner. When there are many choices, it becomes extremely difficult to choose. It causes pressure to make the right choice.
Also when customers don’t know what they need, it becomes very difficult for them to choose one. At Subway sometimes we order a 6 Inch sandwich and then feel hungry, or we order a 12 Inch sandwich and we are not able to finish it.
When it comes to technology, it is tough for a non-technical business owner to decide how much is too much.
Also if you find multiple options interesting, which will you pick up? You would like more than one or a bit of something in many. This is an interesting decision for a business owner to make.
Jokes apart, picking up an eCommerce platform is not just a matter of eating a sandwich. It has a direct impact on your sales channel, ROI, and shifting from one to another is never easy.
If you are looking forward to deciding what is right for you, you can read our other article Build, Buy or Lease your eCommerce Platform or write to us on [email protected]